Current:Home > MySafeX Pro Exchange|New York transit chief says agency must shrink subway improvements following nixed congestion toll -Profound Wealth Insights
SafeX Pro Exchange|New York transit chief says agency must shrink subway improvements following nixed congestion toll
Surpassing Quant Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 23:19:36
NEW YORK (AP) — New York’s transportation authority will have SafeX Pro Exchangeto shrink its plans for maintaining and improving its subways, buses and commuter rails after the state’s governor abruptly halted a scheme that would have funded the system by charging most motorists $15 to enter the core of Manhattan, the agency’s head said Monday.
Speaking publicly for the first time since Gov. Kathy Hochul last week rolled back plans for the tolling scheme, Janno Lieber said the agency will need to shift to prioritizing maintaining the safety of the underlying system, as well as ensuring that service isn’t reduced.
“It’s not something we do lightly. But we simply cannot award contracts without dedicated funding in place,” Lieber, the Metropolitan Transportation Authority’s CEO and chairman, told reporters at a news conference. He said he found out about Hochul’s decision the night before she made the announcement.
The MTA was expecting to receive billions from the nation’s first “congestion pricing” scheme, with motorists paying to enter Manhattan south of Central Park. The tolls, set to launch later this month, were set to finance $15 billion in capital projects for the beleaguered transit system, and had been expected to yield $400 million this year and then $1 billion annually, according to the New York City Independent Budget Office.
Hochul, who had long been publicly supportive of the congestion pricing scheme, chalked up her change of heart to the financial burden she said the toll would pose on New Yorkers already struggling with the high costs of living, as well as its possible impact on New York City’s ongoing economic recovery from the pandemic.
The governor hasn’t said how she would replace the funding that the MTA was banking on receiving from the toll to pay for upgrades and fixes. Hochul had suggested raising taxes on businesses to make up for the toll revenue. But state lawmakers rejected that plan and didn’t take up legislation to replace the congestion pricing revenue before the legislative session ended Friday.
To those who are frustrated by Hochul’s reversal, Lieber said, “I can relate.”
But he batted away suggestions that he might resign in protest over the situation, noting that he previously spent 14 years working on projects rebuilding the World Trade Center.
“I’m the patron saint of challenging projects,” Lieber said.
The MTA still plans to pursue congestion pricing, according to Lieber. And it will continue to fight lawsuits from New Jersey and others that sought to halt the program before Hochul did, he said.
veryGood! (5)
Related
- This was the average Social Security benefit in 2004, and here's what it is now
- Drug-running ring used drones to deliver product inside federal prison: Reports
- After 2-year-old girl shoots self, man becomes first person charged under Michigan’s gun storage law
- Boeing ousts head of 737 jetliner program weeks after panel blowout on a flight over Oregon
- 'Malcolm in the Middle’ to return with new episodes featuring Frankie Muniz
- A pacemaker for the brain helped a woman with crippling depression. It may soon offer hope to others
- United Airlines says after a ‘detailed safety analysis’ it will restart flights to Israel in March
- 'Dune 2' review: Timothee Chalamet sci-fi epic gets it right the second time around
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Triathlon
- IVF supporters are 'freaking out' over Alabama court decision treating embryos as children
Ranking
- A White House order claims to end 'censorship.' What does that mean?
- Tom Holland Shares Euphoric Shoutout to Girlfriend Zendaya
- Jury selection begins for trial of “Rust” armorer in fatal 2021 shooting by Alec Baldwin
- Tennessee free-market group sues over federal rule that tightens worker classification standards
- Toyota to invest $922 million to build a new paint facility at its Kentucky complex
- As states make it easier to become a teacher, are they reducing barriers or lowering the bar?
- Russia spy chief calls military pilot who defected to Ukraine a moral corpse after reported murder in Spain
- The Best Makeup Removers by Type With Picks From Olivia Culpo, Chloe Bailey, Paige DeSorbo, and More
Recommendation
Highlights from Trump’s interview with Time magazine
Ranking 10 NFL teams most in jeopardy of losing key players this offseason
Olympian Scott Hamilton Shares He's Not Undergoing Treatment for 3rd Brain Tumor
2 suspects in Kansas City parade shooting charged with murder, prosecutors announce
Retirement planning: 3 crucial moves everyone should make before 2025
Oklahoma police are investigating a nonbinary teen’s death after a fight in a high school bathroom
Macaulay Culkin and Kieran Culkin Will Reunite Onscreen—Along With Their 3 Other Brothers
Ex-romantic partner of Massachusetts governor says she’s ready to serve on state’s high court